• Never stop learning
• Be curious and innovations would unearth
• Acquire knowledge and implement for results
• Experience certainty
• Read and Speak (Read something and Speak about your fear).
Current Job description
Currently working as Manager, Operational Excellence at Sasken Communication Technologies Ltd, Bangalore, India.
Have successfully completed multiple Telecom & Infrastructure Projects with excellent Customer satisfaction. Few Highlights (Culture & Project Management):
• Wrote quite a few Whitepapers in the area of Culture and “Framework for Culture in Distributed Software Systems” has been published by PMI and can be found at:
www.sasken.com Insights Whitepapers Management
• Presented “Managing Culture Shock” topic in PM Footprints (PMI Bangalore Chapter Knowledge sharing initiative) on 22-Jul-2010.
• Presented “Cultural Awareness on UK Culture” in IBM (2009-2010) to 100+ Project Managers and received appreciations and accolades from management.
• Lead for Cultural Initiative in IBM (2010-2011) spreading awareness to Project Managers catering to different regions. Educated 150+ Project Managers.
• Mentored fellow colleagues for PMP certification in Sasken and IBM. Prior to joining Sasken, I have worked in IBM, Wipro and Ericsson R&D center in various roles.
Important career decisions
Complete my studies. Apply what I have learnt and choose Leadership path. Each organization where I worked taught me many wonderful things in Professional and Personal life. Examples:
• Ericsson taught me to be independent, have fun while giving 200% to work, explore best career options
• Wipro taught me tougher things in life. How to deal with difficult people, how to manage in difficult situations, how to overcome fear of isolation
• IBM was the best learning experience in my professional life. I completed my PMP® and ITILv3® being there and learnt the art of networking, collaborating with colleagues and external world and how important is each stakeholder to the project, individual and organization success. The spark for “learning and understanding” people from different geography (Culture dynamics) got initiated here
• Sasken taught me many facets of life. A visionary manager changed the way I look forward to things at work and in personal life. The CEO, Rajiv Mody was an inspiration for me to get on to “Book reading” and Sasken provided a wonderful platform to read and present to the audience on stage. I went to writing Whitepapers within organization and my paper on “Culture” finally got selected for PMI PMPC® event 2012.
• Ethics, Beliefs and balanced attitude
• Respect for self and others
• Proactive and not reactive
• Emotional Intelligence
• Collaboration and Networking
• Excellent Listening skills
• Maintain work life balance – Juggling Elephants® is a wonderful read.
Managing personal and professional life
Mistakes are great opportunity to Learn. However, frequent mistakes are a killer. It is tough not to make mistakes, but following could be practiced to avoid them.
• Review and get it reviewed before you speak / write
• Remember What to Speak, When to Speak and How to Speak
• Learn from the past Mistakes and not repeat it
• Be empathetic
• Be polite
• Believe in Self
• Learn to be effective while being efficient
• Value People’s time
• Build relationships
• Use the power of Social media – Networking and Collaboration is the mantra.
• Listen to the Grievance of the employee
• Seek first to understand then to be Understood – Steven Covey’s 3rd habit (from the “7 Habits of the highly effective people®”). Have a dialog with the concerned employee
• Summarize what is understood and rephrase it to the concerned employee
• Ask him for possible solutions to the issue
• List down Employee’s inputs and add yours and choose the best solution addressing the Grievance
• Perform RCA to determine the Root cause and apply appropriate preventive measures to ensure NO repetition of the same issue in future.
My Father is my inspiration. He was a CEO of a famous Cooperative Bank in Rajasthan (The Udaipur Urban Cooperative Bank Ltd.) and had a reputation of a King. Even though he was CEO, he was down to earth with his colleagues, network of friends, relatives and family and taught us (me and my sister) to be honest, polite, patient and have will to succeed. He spent his lifetime in this Bank. Joined as a Clerk and raised to CEO in 27 years. Had a strong career of 30+ years and was requested to join the post of “Advisor” in the Bank post retirement. He is still passionate about what he does and maintains the same energy.
More about me
• I love to spend time in Kitchen. Yes, I am a good Cook, not by profession though
• I love gardening and is very sensitive about the environment in and around
• Love to play Carrom, TT in past time
• Still read Comics (Tintin and ChachaChaudhary being favorites)
• Love to watch Cartoon (Tom & Jerry & Mr. Bean being favorites)
My views on India Technical development
You are Right! We have enormous talent in our country. The best minds in the world have originated from India. History is evident for this. However, to leverage the talent into real world products, my opinion is that:
• We have typical Service industry mindset. We must think like Product companies (CISCO, ERICSSON, WAL MART etc.) does and act
• We must be ready to take High Risk
• We must be ready to invest money in right direction and at right time
• Retain people. It’s tough though for Indian markets where IT is a lucrative career and people change jobs often for the sake of Salary and Growth. People retention strategies must be in line with People and Market dynamics. It must be adaptive to suit/cater to both Employees and Customer needs
• We must reward the best talent and recognize people’s contribution more often. Without them, nothing’s possible.
• I am Married. My lovely wife is School teacher and son studies in 2nd standard in an international school
• My charming parents live in Udaipur, Rajasthan and my father still works out of his interest in the same Bank where he retired 2 years back
• Have a beautiful Granny who cares for all of us
• Have a sweet young sister who is married and lives in Dubai, UAE
• Have wonderful relatives and friends living in Udaipur and all the parts of the world. I have a huge network on FB, LinkedIN and G+.